Varentsov Sergey Yur'evich, Extern, sub-department of history of state and law, Nizhny Novgorod Institute of Management of Academy of National Economy and Public Administration under the President of the Russian Federation (46 Gagarina avenue, Nizhny Novgorod, Russia), email@example.com
Background. The prison reform of 1879 is one of the greatest reforms of Alexander II. It was implemented up to the February revolution of 1917 that destroyed the Russian penitentiary system. Though the importance of those developments is high, the historical literature has never covered it in detail. The aim of the article is to analyze the influence of the February revolution on provincial prisons of Nizhny Novgorod.
Materials and methods. The author used works of famous Russian scholars conducting penitentiary studies M. Krasovsky, S.V. Poznyshev, M.N. Gernet. The source base included legislative acts, references and unpublished proceedings, as we as pre-revolutionay periodicals. The methodology was based on pronciples of historicism and scientific objectivity.
Results. The author researched main results of implementation of the prison reform of 1879 in Nizhny Novgorod province and showed the importance of Nizhny Novgorod in the penitentiary system of Russia.
Conclusions. During the coup d’etat of 1917, prisons of Nizhny Novgorod province suffered a great damage.
1. Polnoe sobranie zakonov Rossiyskoy imperii. Sobranie tret'e [Complete collection of laws of the Russian Empire. Collection 3]. Saint-Petersburg: Tipografiya II Otdeleniya Sobstvennoy E.I.V. Kantselyarii, 1886,vol.3.
2. Filatov N. F. Nizhniy Novgorod. Arkhitektura XIV – nachala XX v. [Nizhny Novgorod. The Architecture of XIV – early XX centuries]. Nizhniy Novgorod: Nizhegorodskie novosti, 1994.
3. Davydov A. I. Zapiski kraevedov [Notes of regional ethnographers]. Gorkiy: Volgo Vyatskoe knizhnoe izdatel'stvo, 1988.
4. Ves' Nizhniy Novgorod i Nizhegorodskaya yarmarka [The whole Nizhny Novgorod and its fair]. Nizhniy Novgorod: Izdatel' A. A. Zaslavskiy, 1912–1914.
5. Krasovskiy M. Tyuremnyy vestnik [Prison bulletin]. 1899, no. 2.
6. Nizhegorodskiy kray. Adresnaya i spravochnaya kniga g. Nizhnego Novgoroda i Nizhegorodskoy gubernii 1901 g. [Nizhny Novgorod region. Reference and address book of Nizhny Novgorod city and Nizhny Novgorod provice of 1901]. Nizhniy Novgorod: Tipolitografiya Tovarishchestva I. M. Mashistova, 1901.
7. Gernet M. N. Istoriya tsarskoy tyur'my [The history of tsarist prison]. Moscow: Gosudarstvennoe izdatel'stvo yuridicheskoy literatury, 1951, vol. 1.
8. Nizhegorodskie gubernskie vedomosti. Chast' ofitsial'naya [Nizhny Novgorod bulletin. Official part].1846,no.8.
9. Malinin F. N. Rol' obshchestva v bor'be s prestupnost'yu (Tyuremnyy patronat) [The role of society in the struggle against crimes]. Saint-Petersburg, 1906.
10. Poznyshev S. V. Ocherki tyur'movedeniya [Essays on penitentiary studies]. Moscow: Izdanie G. A. Lemona i B. D. Pletneva, 1915.
11. Polnoe sobranie zakonov Rossiyskoy imperii. Sobranie vtoroe. Otdelenie 1-e. T. 40. Zakony 1865 goda [Complete collection of laws of the Russian Empire. Collection 2. Division 1. Vol. 40 Laws of 1865]. Saint-Petersburg: Tipografiya II Otdeleniya Sobstvennoy E.I.V. Kantselyarii, 1867.
12. Tsentral'nyy arkhiv Nizhegorodskoy oblasti (dalee – TsANO) [The Central Archive of Nizhny Novgorod region (TsANO)]. F. 5. Op. 1. D. 662.
13. Ocherk razvitiya arestantskogo truda v russkikh tyur'makh 1885–1888 gg. [An essay on development of prisoners’ labor in Russian prisons in 1885–1888]. Saint-Petersburg: Tipografiya N. A. Lebedeva, 1890.
14. TsANO. F. 386. Op. 1. D. 470.
15. TsANO. F. 386. Op. 4. D. 40.
16. Volkov V. Rodina [Motherland]. 2007, no. 2.
17. Eroshkin N. P. Rossiyskoe samoderzhavie [Russian autocracy]. Moscow: Izdatel'stvo RGTU, 2006.
18. Istoricheskiy opyt trekh rossiyskikh revolyutsiy. Sverzhenie samoderzhaviya. Vtoraya burzhuazno-demokraticheskaya revolyutsiya v Rossii [Histrical experience of Russian revolutions. The overthrow of autocracy. The second bourgeois-democratic revolution in Russia]. Moscow: Politizdat, 1986, bk. 2.
19. Nizhegorodskiy kray: fakty, sobytiya, lyudi [Nizhny Novgorod region: facts, events, people]. Nizhniy Novgorod: Nizhegorodskiy gumanitarnyy tsentr, 1994.
20. TsANO. F. 386. Op. 6. D. 47.